Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pin Feathers 'n' molting

On your left, is a pic of a baby bird. (baby Lovebird) just covered in pin feathers.
Not a pretty sight, but you should see the bird afterwards.







Another reason why we preen, is because we need to smooth our pin feathers out. What are pin feathers, you ask? Well, humans have hair; you just grow hair, there's nothing blocking. We birds, however, are covered with feathers. Now, it'd be a right funny sight (as well as uncomfy) for to just start growing full feathers out of our plumage. No, we have what you call pin feathers. The feathers grow inside a covering that looks like a small stick with a pointed end. If you'd like a more specific description as well as development, Click Here for Wikipedia's explanation.


This is how we grow back feathers from our molting season. We have to molt, of course, not all feathers stay fresh...

2 comments:

Easter Almuena said...

Hey, I recognize that bird! And that hand! :-)

Kaila said...

I really like this blog. I used to have a cockatiel. I'd like to get a lovebird but mom is against it right now. I don't blame her. I hope you keep blogging on here. I like seeing pictures of your birds.

BTW, I LOVE your header :-)